Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Creamed Corn

From Martha

Ingredients
  • 6 ears corn
  • 3 tbsp unsalted butter (Or however much you need. You need more? I won't judge.)
  • 1 garlic clove
  • .5 -- 1 tsp dried thyme
  • salt and pepper, to taste
Grate four ears of corn into a bowl. Carefully slice off kernels from remaining two cobs using a sharp knife and transfer them to the bowl. Scrape cobs with back of knife blade to extract liquid into the bowl. Don't just scrape the knife in one direction -- scrape it bidirectionally. Otherwise it won't really work.
Melt 1 tbsp butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until fragrant (30 seconds or so). Stir in corn mixture, thyme, salt, and pepper.
Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, covered, for about 25-30 minutes or until corn is slightly toothsome. Stir often, otherwise the corn will stick to the bottom and your kitchen will start smelling like popcorn and you'll be like "oh my god, that's so weird -- my kitchen is smelling like popcorn" and then you'll realize your corn is burning. Avoid this.
Stir in remaining tablespoons of butter. Serve immediately.

Thoughts: This was sort of a pain to make. Grating the corn isn't the worst thing, but scraping all the cobs afterward was really tedious. There must be a better way, but I don't have enough time to attend to this sort of corn research. Someone get on that and let me know. But otherwise the process was easy enough. Despite this, I didn't really like this dish. The texture was all well and good, but the thyme made the whole thing taste like Thanksgiving, which was off-putting for a summer dish. Also I don't really like thyme, even for Thanksgiving. Should I have thought of that before endeavoring to make this? Possibly. I had one serving and then made Dan eat the rest. I think he liked it all right, though he would also put in less thyme in the future (ho ho ho). In the future I think I would see if Paula Deen has a recipe that involves cream or something. This one was a little lacking in the rich flavor I have come to associate with creamed corn.

Disaster Index:4/10

No comments: