Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Waffle Cookies

A SERVICEABLE RECIPE.


Ingredients
  • 3/4 stick of butter, softened
  • 1/8c oil
  • 1/2c brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1tsp vanilla extract
  • 3/4c flour
  • 1.5c rolled oats
  • 1/2tsp baking soda
  • 3/4tsp salt
  • 1c dark chocolate chips
  • 1/2tsp cinnamon
In a bowl, whip together the butter, oil, sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Heat a waffle iron and cook big spoonfuls of the batter according to the normal waffle iron procedures.

Thoughts: this idea is almost as cool as it sounds. And it nearly works. But there need to be some modifications. For starters, I would add baking powder. The soda just creates a basic environment so you get browning, but I wanted a little lift. Second of all, I would soak the oats for at least an hour beforehand in milk. I thought the cookies turned out pretty dry, and that's a danger if you're basically creating MORE surface area. I think the oats should help retain moisture, but they need to have moisture to begin with. Flavor was good, though I had to adjust the salt up from 1/4tsp... .75tsp may be an understatement as compared with what I eventually used. Finally, I would probably use whole wheat flour, but that's just me. In general, though, the recipe needs more moisture somewhere. The trick is to sneak it in without ruining the consistency of the dough.

Disaster Index: 3/10, but I'd definitely try it again.

No comments: