Monday, March 2, 2009

Chicken Stir-fry with Yams and Red Cabbage

Yes, this dish was just about as weird as it sounds.

Ingredients
  • 2 tbsp sesame oil
  • 2 yams, peeled, cut into 1/3 " rounds, and cut into sticks.
  • 1 medium red onion, sliced
  • 8 ounces boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into chunks
  • 1 tbsp minced ginger
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 cups red cabbage, sliced into 1/4 " strips
  • 3 tbsp hoisin sauce
  • fresh or dried cilantro
Heat sesame oil over medium high heat. Add yams and onion and cook until yams are tender. Add water by the tablespoon-full if it starts to dry out. This should take about 12 minutes.
Sprinkle chopped chicken with plenty of salt and pepper and stir to coat. Add chicken to yams and onions. Add ginger and garlic and more sesame oil, if needed. Stir fry for one minute.
Add the cabbage and stir-fry until chicken is cooked through and cabbage is wilted but still a little crunchy. Stir in hoisin sauce. Add cilantro.

Thoughts: This was totally weird. I don't know. I would not make it again. I originally found the recipe because we were trying to find a way to use up the 2-pound head of cabbage in our fridge. It seemed like a good idea at the time. But if I had thought about it for even a second, I probably would have thought better of it. I mean, red onions and sweet potatoes and chicken? What the hell? Not great. IF we were to try to fix this recipe enough to make it again, I would take out the red onions. I would also add a WHOLE MESS of soy sauce. This dish lacked flavor in general. This was one of the worst things we've made in a while, I think.

Dan: I think the sweet potatoes were weird. That didn't fit in at all. I agree that it lacked flavor. Adding some soy sauce helped. It didn't taste BAD, it just didn't taste good. It was really really bland.

Disaster Index: 6/10

No comments: