Thursday, November 15, 2007

Roasted Chestnuts

This wasn't REALLY worth the hassle.

Ingredients

  • Chestnuts. Whatever you got.
  • Butter. How much? I don't know.
  • Cinnamon. Probably 1/4 tsp.
  • Salt. A pinch.


Cut an x in the flat sides of each chestnut shell. Put them in a baking pan, and place that pan in the oven at 375 for about 30 minutes. Take the nuts out and let them cool, and then proceed to peel them. If you did it right, and we apparently didn't, the inner skins should come off pretty easily. If you over or undercook them, they won't. This is the part that isn't worth the hassle. If you can master this part, then you should do this recipe.

Now, toss the chestnuts with butter, salt, and cinnamon. Put them back in the pan, and back in the oven for a good 5 or 10 minutes, until just golden. Take them out, and serve!

Thoughts: Like I said, this was kind of arduous. If I could buy pre-shelled chestnuts, I'd consider doing that instead. I bet there's a better way. I've seen some recipes put them in a skillet and then after frying them they put them in the oven - this sounds like it might work better, but we don't have such a skillet.

Disaster Index: 7/10 - They were pretty good tasting, but the peeling thing was just ridiculous.

1 comment:

Em said...

Chestnuts are super low cal though, for nuts anyway. 2.5 chestnuts = 60 calories (I think. I looked this up last night while tired/tipsy).