Thursday, November 8, 2007

The Pancake Method

This is something my mother taught me, and then I changed the ingredients and messed it up.

Ingredients

  • 1 c flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • pinch salt
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • little cinnamon (optional)
  • 1 egg
  • Buttermilk / soured milk until it's done.
  • Fruit of your choice (sliced) / chocolate chips / whatever


Put the flour in a bowl. Add the baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and sugar, and stir to combine. Crack the egg into the bowl, and then add about 2/5 c buttermilk (eyeball it) and mix. Add more buttermilk and keep mixing until you get a loose batter, the consistency of... batter. Maybe like honey? How does that sound?

Now just make pancakes. Pour a big spoonful of batter (about 1/8c plus or minus) into a hot pan (we're looking for ~300-350 degrees). Distribute fruit / whatever on top (we used strawberries, and then apples when we ran out). When the cake looks dry around the edges, flip it. You'll get the hang of it.

Thoughts: I felt that these came out just the tiniest bit rubbery for my tastes. I think it's because I didn't have buttermilk, and so I soured my own milk (with milk + lemon juice) and it just didn't work very well. Next time if I'm out of buttermilk I'm switching the baking soda for baking powder. I'm still adding some lemon juice, though. The other theory for rubberiness is that the sugar is the culprit. It helped with browning, though, I think. Anyway, these turned out great. It's hard to mess them up. This recipe makes about 6-8 pancakes.

Disaster Index: 1/10

2 comments:

Daniel said...

We redid this recipe with bananas. But we actually mashed 1.5 bananas into the batter. Then, instead of buttermilk, I used baking POWDER and plain skim milk. I added cinnamon and a little vanilla. Everything else remained the same.

Result: amazing.

Unknown said...

buy replica bags online i20 b9a16j3x50 buy replica bags b41 q9s00w2b24 best replica bags i22 q9d22g5k11