Monday, January 17, 2011

Noodle Kugel

I don't know when the last time I had kugel was, but it was a LONG time ago.  This is a little... interesting?
Ingredients

  • 6 eggs
  • 1½c cottage cheese
  • 1c sour cream
  • ¾c sugar
  • 2¼c whole milk
  • ¾c raisins
  • 6tbsp butter, melted
  • 1tsp lemon zest
  • ½tsp orange extract
  • 1tsp vanilla extract
  • 1tbsp salt
  • 18oz egg noodles
  • 1c coarsely crushed corn flakes
  • 2tbsp butter, melted
  • 2tbsp cinnamon
In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, cottage cheese, sour cream, sugar, milk, raisins, butter, zest, extracts, and salt.  Set a pot of water to boil, and cook the egg noodles until quite al dente - about 7 minutes.  Drain the noodles thoroughly, then add them to the custard mixture.  Cover and let sit for at least an hour, checking on them and stirring after about a half hour.  Preheat the oven to 350.  When the oven is hot, pour the mixture into a 9x13" casserole dish.  In a separate bowl, combine the corn flakes, butter, and cinnamon.  Sprinkle liberally over the kugel.  Bake about 40 minutes.  Then take it out, let cool about 5 to 10 minutes, and serve.

Thoughts: We weren't really sure what to expect.  Kugel is a little unusual as dishes go, since it's like a sweet pasta casserole.  We liked it, though I'm not sure we added enough salt (I think we did 1tsp instead of 1 tbsp).  I'm not sure I'd make it again in this quantity.  Still, this tasted quite authentic, and I went back for seconds.  I call this a win.

Disaster Index: 2/10

No comments: