Saturday, November 13, 2010

Bread Pudding

I know that I had a french toast recipe, but this is slightly different.

Ingredients

  • Dense-ish bread, chopped into 1" cubes (ish).
  • Egg Mixture
    • 1 egg
    • 1/2c milk (I use skim)
    • 1tbsp brown sugar
    • 1/8 tsp salt
    • Vanilla extract
  • Cinnamon & nutmeg to taste
Preheat the oven to 300.  Make as many servings of the egg mixture as you need.  So if you are making one serving, it's one egg, 1/2c milk, etc.  If you need two, double that.  Just whisk all the ingredients together.  Then add the bread to the mixture, add cinnamon & nutmeg, and toss to coat everything evenly.  What you want to see is that MOST but not ALL of the egg mixture has soaked into the bread.  

Pour the bread into an appropriately sized (well greased) pan - you want a depth of about 2" of bread.  If you're making single servings, you can use ramekins, too.  I usually add a layer of parchment paper at the bottom so that it doesn't stick.  Anyway, pour everything into the cake pan / ramekins / whatever, and cover with foil.  Bake at 300 for about 20-30 minutes (ramekins get 20 min, larger gets 30), then remove the foil, increase heat to 375, and go for another 10-15 minutes.  Remove from oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.

Thoughts: I've been making this for a while, but I always forget what temperatures I set the oven at and for how long, so I thought I'd write it down so I can remember.  This works pretty darn well.  Another thing you can do (if you're eating the bread pudding immediately) is chop bananas or some other fruit in with the bread before you cook it.  I'm not 100% sure how this will impact the liquidyness of the bread pudding if you use berries, but I'd imagine it would work pretty well with bananas or apples.  Not sure how well this would work with a really crusty bread like French.  I'd stay away from that - you want something a little denser for this.

Disaster Index: 1/10

No comments: