Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Sweet Potato Latkes

This was only somewhat disastrous.

Ingredients

  • 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and roughly grated (cuisinart works great for this)
  • 2 smallish onions, chopped
  • 2 leeks, washed and chopped
  • 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
  • 3/4c flour
  • 3 eggs
  • salt, pepper, oregano, and parsley to taste


Combine everything in a big bowl, basically. That's pretty much it. Then form the pancakes and fry them in a thin layer of oil or PAM. Make sure the oil is good and hot. Then, put them on a plate with paper towels to drain the oil. Serve with sour cream or plain yogurt and apple sauce.

Thoughts: I had a very bad time trying to get these to NOT fall apart. This is because I didn't want the oil to smoke by heating it too much. Claire, on the other hand, was fearless and ultimately saved the day by figuring out how to cook them right. If I did these again, I'd want to have an electric skillet (a flat-bottomed pan didn't work so well) and I would use an oil with a higher smoke-point if I could find such a thing.

Disaster Index: 4/10 - Delicious, really, but so frustrating to cook correctly.

No comments: